"Hamlet" by William Shakespeare is one of the most Famous tragedies ever written. Quotes from this play are still used commonly today, hundreds of years after it being first written. The plot itself has been copied many times, however in my opinion, none have outdone the original play.

This Blog serves one purpose, to pay tribute to the famous quotes, and scenes that made hamlet the great tragedy.

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Skull

In Act 5 Scene 1, Hamlet has returned home from England. On his way, he runs into a pair of gravediggers. While talking to them, Hamlet finds the skull of his fathers former jester Yorik. Seeing the bare skull of someone Hamlet knew well brings him to a realization of how short life is. I think the skull symbolizes not only how short life is, and what is left of us in only a short time after dying; but, in hamlets eyes, our lack of purpose on earth. Seeing the skull starts hamlet on a painfully melancholy soliloquy.
















"Alas! poor Yorick. I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen? Now get yet to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must come; make her laugh at that."

-Hamlet to Yorik's skull


No comments:

Post a Comment